Friday, March 8, 2013

Smoke Belching Trap in Makati

News reports more than 5000 smoke belchers caught in Makati.  Got a taste of this last Monday, being "randomly" flagged for checking along Gil Puyat Ave.  I put quotes at "randomly" because I think they're looking for UV vehicles rather than real smoke belchers like jeepneys and buses.   Why?  Because jeepney and bus drivers probably don't pay much for the guys' lunch and dinner.

It was an indignant feeling.  I don't see smoke coming out from the 2007 Innova I used.  I have it regularly maintained, oil being changed every 5000km.  And I've never once reached 3000rpm the whole 7 years I'm driving.


It was darn bad luck.  I'm near the end of my oil change cycle, I'm pressed for time, and I'm IN Makati at 4pm weekday, and the ravenous smoke hunters are around.  (I haven't been in Makati at that hour and day for the past few years!)  I was only there to accompany our foreign visitor around the area, and the city gave its best to put a bad taste in her mouth.

Anyway, I failed THEIR tests.  I couldn't believe the vehicle was that belchy, when I see jeepneys and bus with their wicked smoke everywhere.  They tested at a (for me) unrealistic 3000 RPM.  They put a board to seemingly fend off the smoke, though I'm more inclined to believe that board was designed to concentrate the smoke and make people fail THEIR tests.  I got an average more than 3.0 in opacity.  Must be their machines.  It smells more like a cash register.

So there went my front vehicle plate.  The guy was very amenable, seeing Angeles City on my license, WANTING to be helpful, hint hint.   I dislike that.  Fair is fair.  Only if they're really fair.  I don't believe what they do is about the environment.  It looks more like the Php1.499 million.  It's about money.


No comments:

Post a Comment